I thought I’d resurrect this for anyone missing those long nights at work when we used to keep ourselves entertained by singing one song to the tune of another or guessing the song when the first line is read in BBC Radio 4 voice. Or this is for anyone who is bored and wants to play an inconsequential game.
Because the first line is always easy… then we tend to la la la the next one! So this is what you have to do for this game:
1. Put your music player on shuffle
2. Write down 30 songs that you come to – but give people a fighting chance! We’re not going to get some obscure B-Side! Believe me, it’s harder than you think!
3. Write down the first line of the song
4. Tag friends and get them to fill in the second line of the song
5. Cross the songs out as they’re completed.
1. “I was lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week indulging in my self defeat…”
2. “It’s criminal, there ought to be a law…”
3. “(Hey, hey hey hey ohhhhhh whoa) Won’t you come see about me, I’ll be alone dancing you know it baby…”
The Spooky Men’s Chorale ‘Don’t stand between an man and his tool’ “(tool, tool, tool, tool tool, etc) When I wake up in the morning, I don’t make a sound… I tiptoe to the toolshed, and take a look around.
Cher ‘Not Enough Love and Understanding’ “Here, here in this world, where do we go? Where can we turn when we need some love, it seems like love just can’t be found… Where, where do we stand? When love’s supply don’t meet love’s demand.”
6. “I was twenty one years when I wrote this song…”
7. “My friends from high school, married their high school boyfriends…”
8. “I never loved nobody fully, always one foot on the ground…”
Aerosmith ‘Cryin’ “There was a time when I was all broken hearted, love wasn’t much of a friend of mine… The tables have turned, cos me and them ways have parted, that kind of love was the killing kind.”
The Police ‘Every Little Thing she Does is Magic’ “Oh I tried before to tell her of the feelings I have for her in my heart… Every time that I come near her, I just lose my nerve, as I’ve done from the start.”
Gorillaz ‘Dare’ “It’s coming up, it’s coming up, it’s coming up, it’s coming up, it’s coming up, it’s coming up … It’s dare.”
12. “Big wheels keep on turning, getting me home to see my kin…”
Rhianna ‘Umbrella’ “You had my heart, we’ll always be worlds apart… Maybe in magazines, but you’ll still be my star”
Sheryl Crow ‘My Favourite Mistake’ “I woke up and called this morning, the tone of your voice was a warning… that you don’t care for me any more”
Cyndi Lauper ‘Time After Time’ “Lying in my bed I hear the clock tick and think of you… turning in circles confusion is nothing new”
Natalie Imbruglia ‘Torn’ “I thought I saw a man brought to life… He was warm, he came around, he was dignified”
Spice Girls ‘Viva Forever’ “Do you still remember how we used to be?… Feeling together believing whatever my love had said to me.”
Lady Gaga ‘Poker Face’ “(Ma ma ma ma, ma ma ma ma) I wanna hold ‘em like the do in Texas play…” “Fold em let em hit me raise it baby stay with meee”
Dolly Parton Silver Dagger “Don’t sing love songs you’ll wake my mother… She’s sleeping here, right by my side.”
20. “(Ah) Don’t be so quick to walk away (dance with me)”
21. “At we started out real cool…”
Eliza Carthy ‘Blind Fiddler’ “I lost my eyes in the blacksmith’s shop in the year of ’56… Working on a t-flange that was out of fix.”
23. “Guess there are times when we all need to share a little pain…”
Vic Reeves ‘I’m a Believer’ “I thought love was only true in fairy tales (oi!) Meant for someone else, but not for me… (1 2 3 Oi)”
25. “You always make me smile, when I’m feeling down”
Destiny’s Child ‘Survivor’ “Now that you’re out of my life I’m so much better… Thought I’d be weak without you but I’m stronger”
27. “Could I love ya? Only time will tell us that for sure…”
Groove Armada “This is the house that funk built… Grove Armada style”
The Fray ‘How to Save a Life’ “Step one, you say we need to talk, he walks, you say sit down it’s just a talk… He smiles politely back at you, you smile politely right on through…
Dodgy Good Enough “I’ve got an aching in my bones, I’ve been exposed to what I want to see… The fuse is burning somewhere, it’s drenched in heat, it’s where I long to be”
Additional songs to keep you going…
- “If I should die before I wake…”
- “Four letter words just to get me along…”
- “How do I get through one night without you?”
- “Strangers come around, there’s no heroes to be found…”
- “There was something in your voice that was telling me don’t be too sure…”
The Mavericks ‘Dance the Night Away’ “Here comes my happiness again right back to where it should have been…right now she’s gone and I am free, and she can’t do a thing to me.” Green Day ‘Wake Me Up When September Ends’ “Summer has come and past, the innocent can never last…wake me up when September ends.” Aerosmith ‘Dream On’ “Every time that I look in the mirror, all these lines in my face getting clearer…the past is gone, it went by like dusk to dawn.”
- “Fell in love with a boy, fell in love once and once completely…”
- “Last night I got served a little bit too much of that poison baby…”
- “Wish I could say it breaks my heart like you did in the beginning. It’s not that we grew apart a nightingale no longer singing…”
“Hey kids, shake it loose together. The spotlight’s hitting something…”
- “Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum, it’s such a little ship ‘neath the tropical sun…”
- “Tables turned into a situation, now you standing in my face and you been patiently waiting…”
- “I feel like the sun, I feel like the rain…”
Think you can get some of them? Comment below…
17 thoughts on “The Second Line Song Game”
Oooh this is hard! Only hit a stride at #11! “It’s Dare!”, #12 “Singing songs about the southlands”, #13 “Maybe in magazines, but you’ll still be my star”, (Im bloody sure I would be able to get #14, but Nik’s got the TV on AND is coughing, so its either focus on not throwing things or on what that next line is)
#16 “He was warm, he came around, he was dignified” #18 “Fold em let em hit me raise it baby stay with meee” #24 “Meant for someone else, but not for me… (1 2 3 Oi) – all about the shrek version – #26 Thought id be weak without you but Im stronger? #29 He smiles politely back at you, you smile politely right on through…
Ok mine.. just 15 I think – most of my ipod is pretty random
1. Vince was a loner, a loveable stoner aha..
2. Wash away all the lines on your face that show how you’ve aged
3. I am the new way to go, I am the way of the future
4. There is no turning back, from this unending path of mine
5. This state I’m in, a place I’ve never been
6. Separated, and negated, it seems fated, we have to find out more
7. There’s a man on the corner, selling dozens of bones
8. We’re the boys turning inside out
9. I was never faithful, and I was never one to trust
10. Whether long range weapon, or suicide bomber
11. If this world is wearing thin, and you’re thinking of escape
12. Hey, comme des maillons d’une chaine (I warned ya)
13. I’ve been driving all night, my hand’s wet on the wheel
14. I can get a record player, and a generator
15. It’s been such a long time coming, I thought you’d understand
I think 17 is spice girls viva forever?
And is 15 time after time?
Yep, but what are the next lines?
Caught up n circles confusion is nothing new, flashback,warm nights
feeling togerher believing whatever
I can identify #s 1, 6, 8, 15, & 20 of Ellie’s, and 6 & 11 of Vicki’s, but remembering lyrics have never been my strong point anyway, so I’d be stumped unless it was something I listened to all day everyday. I could however, just put a Regina Spektor or Jack Peñate record on & pretend I knew the words all along!
4. Spooky Men- Don’t stand between a man and his tool.. I tiptoe to the toolshed, and take a look around
30. Dodgy-Good Enough: The fuse is burning somewhere, it’s drenched in heat, it’s where I long to be
19. She’s sleeping here, right by my side
9. Cryin’- Aerosmith: The tables have turned, cos me and them ways have parted, that kind of love was the killing kind
5. Cher- Not enough love and understanding: Where, where do we stand? When love’s supply don’t meet love’s demand
22. Blind Fiddler- Eliza Carthy: Working on a t-flange that was out of fix
14. Sheryl Crow- My Favourite Mistake: that you don’t care for me any more
10. Every little thing she does is magic- the Police: Every time that I come near her, I just lose my nerve, as I’ve done from the start
28. Grove Amarda style
Additional ones: 6. The Mavericks- Dance the Night Away: right now she’s gone and I am free, and she can’t do a thing to me.
7. Wake me up when september ends. From Wake me up when september ends by Greenday.
8. Dream on- Aerosmith: the past is gone, it went by like dusk to dawn
20. You don’t have to admit that you want to play (dance with me).
I’m disappointed in you having #9 on the additional ones. You may as well have that awful Seven Nation Army cover by that guy off that Simon Cowell programme.